Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Computers...Computers...Computers!

I've used a computer ever since I needed a church secretary to type church bulletins, and I couldn't work with typewriters (I would have had to buy white out in 55 gallon drums and use a sprayer to apply it).
I remember going to Costco and pricing out IBM Selectrics ($800), and then thinking, "the church can't afford a secretary, so I'd have to type up the bulletins, but if the church could afford a one time purchase of a computer, then..."
So, after a couple of false starts, I ended up with an MS-DOS computer, which had two 5.25" floppy disk drives--one for programs, one for data, and a printer, and a couple programs.
I used that computer for quite a while, and then graduated.  As I write this, I'm using a Windows 10 computer.  I've used Apple, Microsoft, Linux, and Android computers.
I taught myself just about everything I know about them, from MS-DOS to the basics of Unix.  It's not as hard as folks say, if you just decide it's not, and it's a wonderful tool.
So...as an officially certified Old Guy, I think you can learn to use a computer.  If you're worried about it, get an iPad or Android equivalent (Google Nexus, Google Chrome, Samsung tablet, or a clone), and start there.  There is an entire world of information out there for you, and all of it is available through the gateway of your keyboard.
I've seen older folks just start using iPads with just a little bit of instruction; I watched an 18-month old pick up an iPad and use it (had some coaching from Mom & Dad at first) with literally no effort.
Android tablets are about the same level of difficulty, just a bit different.
What I'm saying is this:
"If you're an official Old Guy or an official "Old Gal," and you are of normal intelligence, you can learn to use a computer--or computing device.
I always recommend you opt for the easiest to use, and if you outgrow it, then go for something more complicated.
God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment