Monday, February 15, 2016

What this blog is about

When I say "old," I mean, "probably older than you."
I've suffered through about five recessions, and in each the younger folk say, "It was never like this," but of course it was.
I've watched the Congress allow the export of jobs by the millions, using the economists' excuse that "the world is changing, and everyone will have to find different jobs," until we now actually NEED to pay McDonald's employees $15 an hour, because there are no really good jobs for folks with minimal skills.
On the other hand, I've seen many "miracles"  in medicine, science, computing, and so on. I was one of the first people I knew to use the internet, back in the day when you had to learn Unix / Lynx (a bit, just a bit) to use it, until now everyone complains about broadband speeds and has an email address, and I'm writing this blog on a machine that would have either cost $20,000 back then, or would have been impossible to buy at all.
So it's a mixed bag. At the moment, I'm sitting in my brother's house in Florida, contemplating the fact that I knew a guy who had come across the country in a covered wagon--so I've been around a bit. I remember being a minister in a rural Indiana community where the main drag was defined by a hardware store and a traffic light--but I've worked and ministered in Orange and San Diego Counties (California).
All this to introduce the fact that I'm going to be writing from my own (hopefully unique) perspective. I've "been there, done that."
The blog is basically "occasional thoughts," which I hope you will enjoy.  I'm no George Carlin, but I do think I have a brain (at least for a while), and I want to use it to tell you things you may not hear elsewhere.
For example; did you ever notice that all the "university economist" who tell us that exporting jobs is a "good thing" have a job HERE?
What if we ship their jobs to China? What if we tell them that "universities are no longer needed because of the internet, and therefore they get to work at a 7-11--and oh, by the way, their pensions are forfeit, because they are now "redundant?"
What if we actually start telling the truth about stuff, bluntly, rather than lying about things, and using evasion and big words to disguise our lies?
And so on.
I'm done for today, cuz I have to go help my brother move a bed, and then we're going to go to Ocala and visit the bookstore.  

No comments:

Post a Comment